8.25 rear end

From: Ron Deaton (rgdeaton@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 09:01:12 EST

Well the Hemi Dakota convertible is beginning to be assembled, now that I
have a couple of other projects out of the shop.

I have serious doubts about the 8.25 rear being able to handle the 5.7L
Hemi. I have a Trac-Loc unit to install and thought that it might help.

I know that there are strong opinions for and against these rear ends, so
let me tell you how I plan to use the truck.

        It will probably NEVER see the drag strip, except for a run or two
just for grins.

        I am using the 545RFE 5-speed auto that came with the engine. (Both
are out of a 03 Ram 1500).

        It will probably get nailed occasionally on the street, well more
than occasionally.

        The ratio is 3.92, and tires are 235-50R 18, which is about the same
as stock diameter.

I have looked at the Drag-Truk site and there seem to be a lot of fast Daks
out there that are running the 8.25".

So, I'd like to hear your opinions, experiences, etc.

If anyone knows of an almost direct swap with a 9.25 or 8.75, I'd like to
hear about that as well.

Thanks,

Ron

1989 Hemi Dakota Convertible