Mobil 1 Oil + Gas Prices On The Rise

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 23:19:12 EST

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils_FAQs.aspx

We have switched over to the new line of Mobil oil at work. Much to my
annoyance - they are more expensive than the previous oil. Walmart is
still selling the original formula of Mobil 1 Synth. - but I remember
someone on The List saying their local Walmart didn't have it any
longer. Mobil's web page (URL Above) seems to give the impression that
the old oil is going to he phased out. Anyone else have any info on
this? I couldn't find anywhere on the site that said the old oil was
going to be replaced. I had 4, 5 quart jugs (two 5-w30 and two 10w30)
in my shopping cart just half an hour ago - but put them back because I
couldn't justify spending $80 on oil right now. I want to stock up on
this stuff if its slated to disappear. But what good will that do me?
I'll just find myself in this position a little later, when my stockpile
runs out.

My blackstone labs tests indicated that I had a good amount of life left
in my oil when I change it. (3000-3500 miles between changes) I could
push it to 4500 miles between changes if I wanted to - but I never feel
comfortable going that long. Knowing that - I can't really justify
continuing using Mobil 1, if they are going to jack up the prices, while
I won't see any real advantages to the new formula. They seem to claim
that they have boosted the additives and detergants.

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted
level of protection and performance. These formulations with the
Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent
more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the
current Mobil 1"

Whatever SuperSyn is... (shrug)

I don't really want to switch oils, I really like Mobil 1. It's all I've
used since I started driving. I think the only other oil I would
consider using would be Valvoline. QuakerState is also doing the
"trillion and one different oil formulas" schtick. That just throws a
"gimick" red flag at me. Specific oil for 4x4's specific oil for high
milage, specific oil for imports, BAH! More like snake oil if you ask me.

Also, gas prices (oddly enough also at a Mobil station) are hitting high
numbers again. The Mobil station was highest of them all. $2.22.9 for
regular, $2.32.9 for midgrade and $2.43.9 for premium. FleetFarm, BP,
and KwickTrip were all at $2.17.9 for regular, didn't pay attention to
the other grades - but KwickTrip sells their "midgrade" gas - with a 10%
ethanol level at the same price as the regular stuff. Also - much to my
surprise, I recently discovered that the stations around here - all pump
pure 100% gasoline. Not 10% ethanol blends. (with the exception of
KwickTrip)

I proudly cussed out the Mobil station and gave them the single finger
salute as I drove past.

********** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *128* DAYS LEFT! **********
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/