Re: Mobil 1 Oil + Gas Prices On The Rise

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 21:37:29 EST

On 3/19/2005 23:20, TerribleTom wrote:

| http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils_FAQs.aspx
|
| We have switched over to the new line of Mobil oil at work. Much to my
| annoyance - they are more expensive than the previous oil. Walmart is
| still selling the original formula of Mobil 1 Synth. - but I remember
| someone on The List saying their local Walmart didn't have it any
| longer. Mobil's web page (URL Above) seems to give the impression that
| the old oil is going to he phased out. Anyone else have any info on
| this? I couldn't find anywhere on the site that said the old oil was
| going to be replaced. I had 4, 5 quart jugs (two 5-w30 and two 10w30)
| in my shopping cart just half an hour ago - but put them back because I
| couldn't justify spending $80 on oil right now. I want to stock up on
| this stuff if its slated to disappear. But what good will that do me?
| I'll just find myself in this position a little later, when my stockpile
| runs out.

Welcome to last week, Tom! http://archives.dakota-truck.net/0503/0239.html

The Walmart I went to no longer had any Mobil 1 (at least the stuff I
needed), just the "new" stuff which I suspect is the same as the old
stuff. Bought it anyway, I was not interested in driving all over 2
counties just to find the "right" Mobil bottle, burning more than the
price difference in gas.

| Whatever SuperSyn is... (shrug)

It's MarketSpeak(tm).

| I don't really want to switch oils, I really like Mobil 1. It's all I've
| used since I started driving. I think the only other oil I would
| consider using would be Valvoline. QuakerState is also doing the
| "trillion and one different oil formulas" schtick. That just throws a
| "gimick" red flag at me. Specific oil for 4x4's specific oil for high
| milage, specific oil for imports, BAH! More like snake oil if you ask me.

Yeah, I'm feeling odd about the situation too. My '03 has had Mobil 1
since 6000 miles and I'd really like to keep using it.

We do use high-mileage formula oil in the Acclaim, but I'm a lot less
careful about that car than the Dak. It seems to be doing OK on the oil
front, so I'm just going to keep on keepin' on there.

| Also, gas prices (oddly enough also at a Mobil station) are hitting high
| numbers again. The Mobil station was highest of them all. $2.22.9 for
| regular, $2.32.9 for midgrade and $2.43.9 for premium.

BJ's was $2.119 this weekend and that's the cheapest I saw anywhere.
I've seen anywhere from $2.119 to $2.239 on the same day based on location.

| I proudly cussed out the Mobil station and gave them the single finger
| salute as I drove past.

Only time I even bother with Mobil gas anymore is when I need it on the
way home from work and I don't feel like stopping at the Hess 2 blocks
from the ghetto. It's just way too expensive now.

- --
- -andy

        -Bob Tom