Re: Colorado campgrounds

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 00:26:41 EDT

"Josh Battles" <josh@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
: <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
:>
:> "Normal people reasonable" or "DML reasonable"? ;-)

: I'm pretty sure that it'd have to be "normal people reasonable" as I'm 110%
: sure that "DML reasonable" would get us forcably removed from the
: campground.

  Oh well. :-) That's OK, I don't mind that so much; the DML SOP
probably *could* use a dash of "simma". ;-) I think anyone who has
been to a DML BBQ can attest to the fact that I stay relatively
quiet. Granted, I have been known to make big fireballs and smoke
on occasion, but that usually doesn't make a whole lot of noise. :-)
Except for that one time. Oh, I suppose there was also the time when
I blasted an air horn in the general direction of Adam's tent without
stopping to first consider the rather advanced hour of the night...
I'm sure the neighbors loved that one. Oops. :-)

  Heh - "This one time, at the DML BBQ..." ;-)

[...]
: Personally, I think the webcam is overrated. Granted it's *really* cool
: when we're cutting suspension brackets off of a truck and there's sparks
: everywhere, but 90% of the time looking at nothing isn't really all that
: cool. Plus, as I understand it the wireless webcam signals interfere with
: the wifi access in the barn...

   Yep, unfortunately they both use 2.4 GHz. One thing I haven't tried
yet is to cycle through the channels on the access point (I think 802.11b
uses something like 11 channels and I should be able to specify which one
to use on the AP). The cameras have 4 channels and I have tried each of
those, but I didn't think of messing with the AP. I'll have to try that
before this year's BBQ. Another slim possibility might be to stick a
directional antenna on the AP in an attempt to confine it to one area of the
barn. I'm not sure how well that'd work though.

:> - Dial up
:>
:> - If all else fails, and all we want to do is at the very least send
:> daily status reports to the DML, we could use a cellular modem to
:> dial in somewhere, connect, and send, or possibly do the same from
:> someplace in a town that offers internet access like a library.

: NOOOOOOOO!!!! Dialup = TEH DEVAL!!!!112

  Worse than teh fooseball? :-)

  Oh, plus how could I forget the old standby - sneakernet! ;-)
Yes, there'd be nothing quite like running down to the local
library with a questionable quality 1.44MB floppy to upload a
DML meet update. :-) I suppose we could gussy up the whole deal
by using a USB "memory stick" instead. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'