Re: Colorado campgrounds

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 14:53:37 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> "Josh Battles" <josh@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
> : <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
> :>
> :> "Normal people reasonable" or "DML reasonable"? ;-)
>
> : I'm pretty sure that it'd have to be "normal people reasonable" as I'm 110%
> : sure that "DML reasonable" would get us forcably removed from the
> : campground.
>

> Oh well. :-) That's OK, I don't mind that so much; the DML SOP
> probably *could* use a dash of "simma". ;-) I think anyone who has
> been to a DML BBQ can attest to the fact that I stay relatively
> quiet. Granted, I have been known to make big fireballs and smoke
> on occasion, but that usually doesn't make a whole lot of noise. :-)
> Except for that one time. Oh, I suppose there was also the time when
> I blasted an air horn in the general direction of Adam's tent without
> stopping to first consider the rather advanced hour of the night...
> I'm sure the neighbors loved that one. Oops. :-)

LOL, the airhorn was great. I'm sure your neighbors loved Adam's
response with his little airhorn. (LOL COMMUNICATION)

You are indeed fairly quiet, but when you speak it's always something
witty.

> Heh - "This one time, at the DML BBQ..." ;-)

We should get shirts....

> [...]
> : Personally, I think the webcam is overrated. Granted it's *really* cool
> : when we're cutting suspension brackets off of a truck and there's sparks
> : everywhere, but 90% of the time looking at nothing isn't really all that
> : cool. Plus, as I understand it the wireless webcam signals interfere with
> : the wifi access in the barn...
>

> Yep, unfortunately they both use 2.4 GHz. One thing I haven't tried
> yet is to cycle through the channels on the access point (I think 802.11b
> uses something like 11 channels and I should be able to specify which one
> to use on the AP). The cameras have 4 channels and I have tried each of
> those, but I didn't think of messing with the AP. I'll have to try that
> before this year's BBQ. Another slim possibility might be to stick a
> directional antenna on the AP in an attempt to confine it to one area of the
> barn. I'm not sure how well that'd work though.

I had actually thought of that today. I was changing my WEP key and
noticed that there are like 12 channels available on my AP, that could
be something to test out and see what happens.

> :> - Dial up
> :>
> :> - If all else fails, and all we want to do is at the very least send
> :> daily status reports to the DML, we could use a cellular modem to
> :> dial in somewhere, connect, and send, or possibly do the same from
> :> someplace in a town that offers internet access like a library.
>
> : NOOOOOOOO!!!! Dialup = TEH DEVAL!!!!112
>

> Worse than teh fooseball? :-)

fooseball < dialup < *.deval

> Oh, plus how could I forget the old standby - sneakernet! ;-)
> Yes, there'd be nothing quite like running down to the local
> library with a questionable quality 1.44MB floppy to upload a
> DML meet update. :-) I suppose we could gussy up the whole deal
> by using a USB "memory stick" instead. ;-)

FLOPPY 4 LYFE!
Plus, I'm sure the library wouldn't take too kindly to a bunch of tech
geeks asking if they had some sort of smart card reader, and if not,
could we hook one up.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L