Re: Brake drum and shoes. Is Duralast ok?

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 12:19:11 EDT

> Dan Kramarsky wrote:
>ladies & gents,
>I have to get brake drums and shoes on both sides. they're the 10 x
2.5" brakes.
>Is Duralast 10" drums ok? anyone have problems with these?
>The fact is, I can get Duralast 10" drums for $49.99 at AutoZone.
> And I called Pep Boys and all they had was Raysbestos for $89.99 a drum.
> That seems a tad high for a drum. ( they had cheaper drums but only in 9" size and not in 10" )
>I am basically looking for a recommendation on a good OEM replacement
> drum.
>One that will last about 5 years. or around 50,000 mile
>p.s. are Duralast shoes good? its a daily driver truck and mostly in
> town driving. and i can get shoes for $12.99 from Autozone.
> if anyone has other alternatives for a good priced ( below $65 ) 10"
> brake drum, send some info pls.
>-dan

I have had the duralast shoes on the back of my 96 Dakota club cab for
over 20k miles now. They show no more wear than the OE shoes did.
The only reason I replaced my OE shoes at 110k was because I had a
wheel cylinder let loose and hose everything with brake fluid. I
simply turned the lip off the edge of the drums (they mic'd out well
within specs), used new wheel cylinders and hold down/spring hardware,
and a new set of duralast shoes. As mentioned by others, the rear
brakes do very little in a truck unless the truck is loaded, but the
front still do most of the work. For front pads I run the Performance
Friction Carbon Metallic from Autozone. I would run through standard
pads about every 8 months, but have had my carbon metallics on for two
years now. I also agree in buying standard shoes for the rear and
putting the money in a good set of front pads and rotors.

As for the drums, check the thickness of them. The thicker the drum
the more heat it can withstand without getting out of round. About
the only time you will worry about heat is a hard stop with a loaded
truck (bed full of heavy or trailer).

Will