Re: Mopar Muscle Truck Poll (again)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 12:22:40 EDT

"Chad Evans" <hemidak@msn.com> wrote:

: Diluted ? Pre-80's whats out there for that. not that much as far as
: performance goes.
: yah got the little red express, warlock, maybe if you can find one an A-100
: (i think that is correct) with a factory hemi - the first true sport truck.
: I believe it was mid 60's. not sure though. There are trucks that came with
: a 440 big block but they werent considered performance truck. For the most
: part all of the dodge muscle as far as trucks go is NOW. I am open to see
: all trucks as long as it is a good article that some info can be used on a
: personal project.

    You are correct on the big block in trucks. During that era, the
360 was considered to be the "performance" engine. In 1978, the Lil'
Red Express (only available with a 360) was the fastest production
vehicle in the US. The Warlock was produced during the same time period
('76-79) and was available with all sorts of engines (from the /6 to the
400 I believe). That truck was more of an appearance package than a
performance one though (the Lil' Red Express had the performance angle
covered.)

   Granted, during this era, being the fastest production vehicle in
the US probably wasn't saying a whole lot, but it WAS faster than any
other US vehicle, this includes so called muscle and sports cars such
as camaros, corvettes, etc. At the very least, its a handy fact to
know the next time some Lightning owner claims that Ford invented the
sport truck. (Hot Rod TV, I'm looking in your general direction...) ;-)

   Getting back to the poll, I went to the web site, but didn't
select anything because I don't like the premise. Where on earth
did they come up with those year breakdowns, and why isn't it
possible to select multiple options? I don't want to select one
type of truck to the exclusion of others. Not that it'll mean
anything, but I guess I'll just abstain from this one. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'