Re: Dakota Diagnostics

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 10:36:47 EDT

kharmin@yahoo.com wrote:

: Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to purchase so that I can plug in
: to my Dakota and get the diagnostics and trouble codes? Without having to go
: to the dealer?

  It depends on how fancy you want to get. There are units that
plug into a laptop and will not only give you the codes, but the
readings from pretty much any sensor that is read by the computer.
You can usually expect to pay at least a couple of hundred dollars
for such a package which includes the software and a cable to plug
into the OBD-II diagnostic port under the dash. However, if you
just want to pull the trouble codes, that can be done relatively
inexpensively with an OBD-II code reader, such as the one for $40 here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46030

  I have also seen OBD-II code readers in parts stores like Autozone,
but I don't recall what the prices were like; might be worth stopping
in though to see what they've got. This all assumes that your Dak is a
1996 or newer. If it is a 1995 or older, it requires a much more
expensive scanner, such as this one here for $360:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42527

(Both links above happen to be from Harbor Freight, but many places
sell this type of equipment, and you will no doubt be able to find them
via a Google search.)

   Depending on the model year of your Dak, it is also possible to get
the codes for free, without buying anything, using the "key on/off"
method. See http://www.dakota-truck.net/codes for details.

   Another way to get your codes for free is to take it to a parts store
such as Autozone. Many parts stores have a scanner and will read your
codes for free. (They do this in the hopes that whatever you might need
to buy to fix the problem you will purchase from them, but there is no
obligation involved.) I know they can read the codes on OBD-II vehicles
(1996+), but I'm not sure about older vehicles.

  Anyway, hope that gives you some ideas; let me know if I can be
of any further help!

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'