Re: Rear end bench mechanics

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 11:22:09 EDT

"Woodruff, Jason P" <jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com> wrote:
[...]
: What are the Cons to a 8.25 axel? I'm not a drag racer and there's not much more than 220hp to the wheels, but they are planted on race tires (not quite as sticky as drag tires).

  I've gotta say, I'm impressed, Jason! It doesn't seem like we see many
firsts here on the DML anymore, but I must admit, I don't recall anyone
ever posting about how to go from the 9.25 to the 8.25! The other way
around, sure! :-)

   Anyway, to (sort of) answer your question, it shouldn't be much more
difficult than the folks who have gone the other way. Actually, it
might be a bit better for you since I suppose you could technically get
an 8.25 from a GenII truck which would be a bit narrower, allowing you
to run a fatter tire in the rear. (Then again, for autocross purposes,
maybe wider rear tires isn't such a great thing; you probably want them
all the same, huh?) There were also some GenIII trucks built with the
8.25", one of those would probably be a fairly straightforward swap.
You might have an issue with the driveshaft length, I believe the snout
on the 9.25" is a little longer.

   As far as the strength goes, I have seen an article in a magazine about
building the 8.25" to be able to handle some pretty stout loads for drag
racing purposes. As you say, it might be fine stock, but if not you do
have some options to beef it up.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'