Rear end bench mechanics

From: Woodruff, Jason P (jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 16:53:11 EDT

I've got ideas swimming around in my head, I'll toss them out there for expert comments. This is all long term goals appling to AutoX racing.

I need some sort of new locker or LSD. The factory LSDs aren't doing it for me. If it's a locker it has to be real subtle in it's locking and unlocking characteristics, as I don't want to upset the truck in a high G turn. I've been recommended Torsen T2-R, Eaton, and Detroit traction devices, but Torsen and Eaton have no Chrysler applications and Detroit only handles the 8.25, not my 9.25.

I've heard of people modifying the stock LSDs by adding more clutches? I've never gotten into the diff, so I don't know what this means or how hard it is to do.

I'd like to have much higher gears as well. The 3.91's combined with the 26" tires are putting me between 2nd and 3rd gear at most races. 2nd gear tops out around 45-50mph and 1st gear is useless. If I could find a final gear ratio to get me around 60mph in second, that would be great. I notice the ring and pinion options are much greater in the 8.25 differentials.

So heres a wild idea. I find someone with a 8.25 differential to swap axels with. Would this be impossible or easy? Then I could get my Detroit differential and what ever gear ratio I find appropriate.

What are the Cons to a 8.25 axel? I'm not a drag racer and there's not much more than 220hp to the wheels, but they are planted on race tires (not quite as sticky as drag tires).

Jay W
505/287 Dakota