Re: BBQ Videos

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 01:16:32 EDT

Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com wrote:

> I've been playing with frame rates between 15 and 30. Because of speed
> limitations of my little capture device, I found anything above 15 (half NTSC)
> and under film (24 fps) results in the fewest dropped frames.

since you're dealing with 30FPS original material, use a nice divisor.
15 will catch evey other frame, 10 every 3rd, but something like 20
would catch ever other then the third then the second, etc: makes for
choppy end result.

> I captured a
> 12000-frame clip with less than a 1% drop rate.

I suppose over USB1.1 that isn't too terrible...

> The file converter I found
> yesterday is really impressing me. The image quality is ever so slightly softer
> than the Mpeg (which I think actually made it look better, not as grainy) and
> the file size was cut by more than 50%.

well that's good. Not knowing what the interface looks like, just know
that you need to balance compression with framerate (sometimes more
frames with more compression are better, sometimes fewer higher quality
frames are better), and hopefully it has the ability to do decent
keyframing (will store and repaint the whole screen rather than regional
"updates" when the entire screen is changing).

etc, etc.

I've picked up a lot of video knowlege over the years, but I'm used to
tools with LOTS of options so things can be adequately tweaked....

--
MikeM