Re: BBQ Videos

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 12:50:06 EDT

In article <425DF64D.5030308@tepidcola.com>, dml@tepidcola.com (Michael
Maskalans) writes:

> Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com wrote:
>

> > I'm still working
> > on finding a decent .mpg to .wmv converter because the file sizes are
coming
> > out larger than I would like and don't seem to stream well. This is really
my
> > first attempt at playing with video so I'm still trying to figure it out.
I'm
> > hoping that if I can convert them to .WMV I can get the file sizes down
some
> > and they'll stream better.
>
> open standards are our friends, Walt!
>
> the size of a WMV vs an MPEG won't be too different if a similar codec
> is used. it's all about selecting your framerates, how good your
> compressor is at keyframing (that's what Jon's "chunking" problem is
> related to) in the right spots and selecting your bitrate.

I've been playing with frame rates between 15 and 30. Because of speed
limitations of my little capture device, I found anything above 15 (half NTSC)
and under film (24 fps) results in the fewest dropped frames. I captured a
12000-frame clip with less than a 1% drop rate. The file converter I found
yesterday is really impressing me. The image quality is ever so slightly softer
than the Mpeg (which I think actually made it look better, not as grainy) and
the file size was cut by more than 50%.

This clip for example:

http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/video/dakclip05.asf = 23.4 MB (24,580,510 bytes)
Same clip in Mpeg 1:
http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/video/dakclip05.mpg = 68.0 MB (71,385,185 bytes)

Here are the other clips I captured so far.
http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/video.html

Walt
http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com