RE: "Magnum" engines (was: PCM)

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (gcouriel@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 15:03:37 EDT

i'm not particularly "annoyed" with them sticking "magnum" on any engine
that they have. based on your argument, the 2.5L used in the Daks shouldn't
have been a "magnum" engine, cuz it was AMC based (if i remember correctly).

however, i think it's a just a means of providing continuity. Ford has
their Triton engines (why, i don't know... there was nothing "Tri" (meaning
three) about the original "Tritons" in the first generation - now they have
the three-valve engines) , which everybody knows are the engines in the Ford
trucks. if you want a dodge truck, you're getting a "Magnum." If you want
a chevy, you're getting a POS.

just chalk it up to marketing/gimmick/idiocy. frankly, i don't care that
the new Charger is 4-door. in my opinion, it has the power to back up the
name, which is what really matters. i think it's kinda cool that i can have
my cake and eat it too... i want to haul ass, sure! need to carry people,
and haul ass? sure! makes life a little simpler.

honestly, they should bring back another classic name (i.e.: Challenger or
Coronet) and name a shortened platform after one of those monsters. then
position it against the Mustang, and see how many people jump ship to DC.

Chrysler hasn't had a true muscle car in too long. i read car craft, and
they're always finding some old-ass, cheap GM F-Body, which they find for
next to nothing, which they build up and race and get some really
respectable numbers. it sucks that the company that i like, can't offer me
anything like that. if i want cheap, fast chrysler vehicles, i've gotta
look at FWD, or a disgusting car, which will fall apart on me in a matter of
minutes.

Gabriel A. Couriel