Re: 2006 National Meet in Colorado

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 01:08:25 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> Anyone thinking about coming to the 2006 National Meet in Colorado: we'd
> appreciate if you could take a minute and answer a few questions.
>
> How much time are you thinking of spending in each of the following areas:
> 1. Metro Denver itself (includes Golden, Bandimere Speedway, Red Rocks
> park, etc.)

eh, whatever. a day or maybe 1.5 sounds good.

> 2. In town, but not necessarily Denver (things that would be available
> in any sizeable town, like restaurants, shopping, mini golf, etc.)

meh, not what I'm there for. supply runs only, most likely.

> 3. Driving around to different parts of the state. Either scenic
> tours, or off-roading, or traveling to some specific attraction
> someplace.

offroading is definitely top of my list, toptoptop. that includes as
much scenery as I care to see, and specific attractions are otherwise
known as wheeling landmarks and long lost ghost towns.

> 4. Hanging out around the camp site (BBQing, sitting around the fire,
> taking a nap in a hammock, whatever)

secondary. it's what to do either until 10am and after dark, or when we
get back from a full day of whatever.

> We've been working on narrowing down the campgrounds from the list I
> posted a few weeks ago. We've been making great progress, largely thanks
> to Jim Ward's experience with the area and efforts driving around checking
> out various sites in person.
>
> We've realized that we're not really sure what the expectations are for
> where we're going to be spending most of our time. This is going to have
> an impact on where we want to be camped.
>
> As for Denver, we've only identified one day that we'll need to be there.
> We can do a tour of the Coors brewery in the morning, stop in at Red Rocks
> for a picnic lunch, and head to Bandimere for racing in the afternoon. If
> that's the only day we're going to be in the Denver metro area, then being
> close to the city isn't a first priority.

I'd modify the order of that if possible and do dragway > RedRocks >
Coors. Or the other alternative that puts beer at the end. If Coors is
anything like Milwaukee Brewing, the beer garden is a nice place to hang
out, and it could be a jumpoff for one evening on the town for those
that would so choose. assuming the speedway is availible from 9-noon or
something like that. I definitely want to see if I can still pull
16.9@88 since the axle swap <g>

> Similarly, if we're going to be hanging out around the campground a lot,
> then we'll want to have a nice campground. If it's mostly going to be a
> place to sleep and eat, and we'll just launch from there to take off every
> day to head out for whatever other activity we want to do, then the
> scenery at the campground isn't quite as important.

I'd prefer a nicer campground, myself. At least well-kept standard fare
maybe with a lake or something (I don't know how common that is out
there), but no Hilton with pads or anything like that.

> We'd appreciate any thoughts or input you might have. Either post them
> here, or send them to nationalmeet@dakota-truck.net if you'd rather keep
> them off the list for any reason.
>
> Thanks!

you're welcome!