Re: 2006 National Meet in Colorado

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 11:34:20 EDT

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:

: Jason Bleazard wrote:
:> Anyone thinking about coming to the 2006 National Meet in Colorado: we'd
:> appreciate if you could take a minute and answer a few questions.
:>
:> How much time are you thinking of spending in each of the following areas:
:> 1. Metro Denver itself (includes Golden, Bandimere Speedway, Red Rocks
:> park, etc.)

: eh, whatever. a day or maybe 1.5 sounds good.

:> 2. In town, but not necessarily Denver (things that would be available
:> in any sizeable town, like restaurants, shopping, mini golf, etc.)

: meh, not what I'm there for. supply runs only, most likely.

:> 3. Driving around to different parts of the state. Either scenic
:> tours, or off-roading, or traveling to some specific attraction
:> someplace.

: offroading is definitely top of my list, toptoptop. that includes as
: much scenery as I care to see, and specific attractions are otherwise
: known as wheeling landmarks and long lost ghost towns.

:> 4. Hanging out around the camp site (BBQing, sitting around the fire,
:> taking a nap in a hammock, whatever)

: secondary. it's what to do either until 10am and after dark, or when we
: get back from a full day of whatever.

   Stepping out of my "organizing role" for a sec and just speaking of a
DML who will be attending the meet, my thoughts pretty much echo Mike's. I'm
definitely looking forward to the brewery tour, red rocks and Bandimere
(drag racing), but a bigger focus for me will be getting out into the
mountains in a 4x4 to soak in the scenery. :-) As far as the campground
goes, I'd rather not stay in a dive obviously, but I'm thinking of it
along the lines of a motel room; a place to sleep and eat, and like Mike
said, get back and sit around the campfire at night. So, for me it doesn't
have to be super special or have fantastic scenery right at the campground
itself; just something clean and well kept to act as a jumping off point
to the locations where we will be actually be spending most of our time.

[...]
:> As for Denver, we've only identified one day that we'll need to be there.
:> We can do a tour of the Coors brewery in the morning, stop in at Red Rocks
:> for a picnic lunch, and head to Bandimere for racing in the afternoon. If
:> that's the only day we're going to be in the Denver metro area, then being
:> close to the city isn't a first priority.

: I'd modify the order of that if possible and do dragway > RedRocks >
: Coors. Or the other alternative that puts beer at the end. If Coors is
: anything like Milwaukee Brewing, the beer garden is a nice place to hang
: out, and it could be a jumpoff for one evening on the town for those
: that would so choose. assuming the speedway is availible from 9-noon or
: something like that. I definitely want to see if I can still pull
: 16.9@88 since the axle swap <g>

   I agree that would probably be a better order, but time constraints
won't let that happen, unfortunately. (Norah already replied with this
info, but just for completeness, the reason is because Bandimere doesn't
open until 4pm, so that pretty much dictates the drag racing as the last
event of the day. Also, the brewery only offers tours from 10am-4pm.

   Hopefully those folks who will be partaking in the free samples after
the tour will do so responsibly and stay within their limitations. :-)
I do know that they limit each person to 3 glasses (8-12oz each, I think),
but just 'cause they give it to you doesn't mean you need to drink the
*whole* thing. :-) Anyhoo, if anyone thinks this is going to be a
problem, I suspect there will be ample vehicles for folks to be able to
ride along or ample drivers if somebody wants someone else to drive their
Dak from Coors to Red Rocks and/or Bandimere.

   By the way, speaking of the daily events and such, we're taking a
rather loose and informal tack with it. Its not going to be an
ultra organized thing with a rigid schedule. The closest thing to that
is the coors/red rocks/bandimere day, but that's more of a necessity
because there are operating hours of coors and bandimere we need to
fit in with. For the remaining days, we're working out a proposed
schedule, but its very loose. Also, we've been assuming from the start
that we probably won't be going everywhere and doing everything as one
large group. Splinter groups are certainly acceptable, and expected.
For example, on the coors/red rocks/bandimere day, the plan is to head
over to red rocks from coors for lunch and to kill some time before
bandimere opens. However, some people might be more interested in
hiking and geocaching than drag racing. A group of people might
decide to stay longer at red rocks while the drag racers head over to
Bandimere to get some runs in. Or, on another day, we might have one
group that wants to go offroading while another group wants to go
shopping in Denver or just hang around at the campground or something.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'