RE: 100 DAYS!!

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 08:25:41 EDT

In article <NDBBLJLKEKFNFKGHMANDMEGOKPAA.dml@bleazard.net>, dml@bleazard.net
("Norah Bleazard") writes:

> > I dunno; any other BBQers have any thoughts on this?
>
> I agree with all of your points Jon. While it's nice to have new people at
> the BBQ, the event is primarily a DML get together and I'd like it to stay
> that way. That was the whole point of organizing it in the first place and
> it should stay that way. I always enjoyed SCORE's participation, yet the
> only thing that bothered me was that there was always a definite division in
> the groups instead of all being together as one. That part always felt a
> little strange to me. Kind've of like segregation. The BBQ is supposed to
> bring us all together, not keep 2 separate groups of people in 2 separate
> areas. Just my take on it. This could probably make 3 separate groups...
> not a big fan of that at all.

I have only attended one BBQ so I don't really have a basis for comparison.
However, my gut is to agree with Norah. I like everyone in the DML group and
agree it felt a little odd when SCORE arrived. I do admit, I should have made
a better effort on my behalf to interact with them but overall they seemed to
overwhelm our group from the moment they pulled into the driveway. They almost
seemed hard pressed for time. “Get to the mud pit, get to the falls, get back
to eat, Leave!” Definitely a much faster pace than the DML crew, but we’ve been
at it for two/three days/nights prior. I had no complaints against them, except
the guy who tried to use his winch as a snap strap, and Jon, I’m sorry if I
overstepped any bounds by yelling at him and the guy who was spotting, but that
was stupid. Anyhow, I’m not one for large crowds and neither is Ingrid. She
had a great time, which really surprised me since I really didn’t think she
would enjoy riding around in the woods as much as she did. It’s not that I
don’t want Mike’s group to come, I’ve wanted to meet some of them myself and
hopefully do a little wheeling with them also. Mike, I’m really hoping some of
you guys make it to Paragon on Memorial Day weekend; I’d like to meet up with
you. I don’t really have a group like that in this area, and when I go
wheeling, it usually involves me pulling the truck on the trailer for a few
hours so I don’t get to do it as much as I would like. It’s odd that I live in
the middle of 50,000+ acres of state forests and watershed land and I have a
hard time finding a trail to explore. Because of the watershed land that feeds
a major drinking water reservoir and another hydroelectric reservoir; they
patrol this area very heavily. I see two or three MDC or State cops every time
I leave the house. I went out last weekend and was stopped by one of the MDC
cops as I went down a dead end road, with no houses on it, near my house to
sneak onto an old logging road at the end. He was sitting right there in the
cul-de-sac. I wasn’t even on the logging road yet but it was pretty obvious
what I had in mind with a still Steiger-mud-covered 4x4. He told me vehicles
are not permitted and to turn around. So I went up and around into MA where
that old logging road comes out and went in from that side.

However, back on topic, I want to keep our little family intact. I think if we
start getting too many different groups there, we’ll loose out identity. I
would have no ploblem if Mike wanted to invite a guest, but that really should
be Jon and his family's call to make.

Walt