Re: 2006 National Meet in Colorado

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 13:24:01 EDT

On Tue, May 3, 2005 11:34 am, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> Stepping out of my "organizing role" for a sec and just speaking of a
> DML who will be attending the meet, my thoughts pretty much echo Mike's.
> I'm
> definitely looking forward to the brewery tour, red rocks and Bandimere
> (drag racing), but a bigger focus for me will be getting out into the
> mountains in a 4x4 to soak in the scenery. :-) As far as the campground
> goes, I'd rather not stay in a dive obviously, but I'm thinking of it
> along the lines of a motel room; a place to sleep and eat, and like Mike
> said, get back and sit around the campfire at night. So, for me it
> doesn't
> have to be super special or have fantastic scenery right at the campground
> itself; just something clean and well kept to act as a jumping off point
> to the locations where we will be actually be spending most of our time.

As for my own personal opinion, I agree with Jon. Here are my thoughts
for consideration. I figure I can hang around a campfire anywhere, and
the BBQ makes a great relaxed outdoor event. There's definitely something
to be said for that, but I figure if I'm driving all the way to Colorado,
I want to see as much of Colorado as possible. I was thinking of leaving
camp as soon as I can get myself organized in the morning, packing a
lunch, and not getting back until time to fire up the BBQ for dinner.
Pick a different area to explore each day. After dinner we can just hang
around, but it'll be getting dark anyway so the scenery doesn't matter
much to me.

I wanted to hold off on posting my own opinions until we got some feedback
on what everyone else wants to do. As always, everyone is free to do as
they please, so if most people are interested mostly in kicking back and
taking it easy, then it's not my place to dictate that we have to be on
the go and doing things constantly.