Tinkered with Christine some more

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 23:48:45 EDT

OK well I've had a chance to fidgit with the truck a little more today,
and no luck. I pulled the EGR valve off and checked the mounting points
- yeah there was carbon but it was soft and gummy and not much of it
really - I think the Sea Foam fogging helped clear that out a bit. I
dont think the EGR valve was even working though. The vacuum port on the
diaphram was clogged with some kind of corrosion. (yes I plugged any
vaccuum lines)

I fabricated a EGR block off plate and installed that. Also cut up
plates to block off the holes in the manifolds where the air tubes were.
  Someone at work suggested the exhaust leak and lower back pressure
could foul up the O2 sensor readings. Not to mention its quieter now.

I even unplugged the O2 sensor wire harness to see if that would have
any effect. Nadda.

The exhaust exit is very black and sooty - I don't know if that means
its running rich or its burning oil. I don't see any blue smoke when
the truck runs, and its not a moist residue - just dry and soot like.
Methinks rich conditions exist.

I also noticed something really weird. but perhaps it could be
explained by the exhaust control valve that is in the drivers side
exhaust manifold. But I noticed the drivers side exhaust manifold was
significantly hotter than the passenger side manifold - after a few
minutes running from a cold start. Thought that was unusual - but that
valve could be restricting the flow of exhaust - and heating up that
manifold faster.

I don't think replacing the O2 sensor will do any good. And I'm
thinking about breaking down and having a shop take a look at it and see
if someone else can find the problem. I'm growing really fed up, myself.

********** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *83* DAYS LEFT! **********
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/