Re: DVD Player Remote Eye

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 10:26:24 EDT

Bob Nichols <bocd@optonline.net> wrote:

: Any one ever wire up a remote eye to a dvd player or other electronic
: equipt?

: Mine is in the bed...but I'd like to be able to control it from the cab
: now since i now have a cab monitor...

  I've never done it myself, but I've seen devices like this sold in
various catalogs for controlling home theater equipment. I think they
are popular for hiding your DVD player away in a closet but still being
able to control it, or for a satellite system with multiple TVs run off
of it (only one channel can be watched at a time) where the receiver is in
another room, and you want to be able to change channels on the receiver
from a tv in a different room. As I understand it, I believe it works by
using an IR receiver and an IR sender. Essentially, you put the IR receiver
in front of your remote, and the IR sender in front of the device you want
to control (DVD player in this case). When you point your remote at the
IR receiver, it takes the signal and broadcasts it to the IR sender via
RF, and the IR sender then sends the IR signal out to the DVD player.
Its been a while since I was looking into these, but I think they run $30-60
or so. Its possible there might be a system like the above but which uses
a wire between the IR receiver and sender rather than an RF transmission.
Another possibility might be a system which eliminates the IR receiver,
and uses a universal RF remote which communicates directly with an IR
sender.

  Anyway, sorry I can't be of more help except to say that I do know such
systems exist, its just a matter of finding a place to buy it. :-) Since
these are designed for home use, I'm guessing the IR receiver and sender
are designed to run off of house power (110-120v AC), but they are probably
~12v with "wall wart" transformers, so depending on their requirements, you
could either wire them directly into the truck's 12v DC system, or since
you've got an inverter, I suppose you could also just plug 'em into that
and be done with it since I would guess they don't take much power.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'