Re: 1.5 rockers and MPG

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 19:05:09 EDT

Quintin wrote:
> I am still on a quest for better mileage for my 92 Dak V6 CC. The underdrive
> pulley and flexi fan improved MPG about 2 points. After reading the article
> here: http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0204vet_rockers/ I am wondering if I
> should swap the stock 1.6's out for 1.5's. The article implies that I could
> actually gain torque, with a sacrifice to upper rpm power. I can live with
> that, I don't race the thing, I just drive it. And before someone suggests
> that I buy a Neon, I am looking to modify my 'paid for' truck, not pay for
> something else. Any thoughts?

Buy a neon

... er... sorry... I'll turn off smartass mode ;D

I don't know much about changing rocker ratios, but you could try weight
reduction if you haven't already. A fiberglass hood is one good way to
shave at least 10 lbs off a truck. The stock Gen I and Gen II steel
hoods are massive. A light weight hood will help. And perhaps an
aftermarket bumper. The stock Gen I and II rear bumpers have edges that
curl around the corners of the bed - seriously increasing aerodynamic
tail drag. A roll pan is a light weight alternative. The Gen III trucks
moved to bumpers that are the same width as the bed, eliminating the
aerodynamic drag.

A bed cover will also help MPG. An open bed also increases drag. And on
a more expensive level, I've always toyed with the idea of replacing my
side mirrors with flush fitting cameras with video displays in the cab.
  But thats a mod that would not be as easy - or as cheap up front.
Also the fuel economy savings would take a while to offset the cost of
side cameras.

********** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *74* DAYS LEFT! **********
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/