Re: 1.5 rockers and MPG

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 18:36:17 EDT

TerribleTom wrote:

> I don't know much about changing rocker ratios, but you could try weight
> reduction if you haven't already. A fiberglass hood is one good way to
> shave at least 10 lbs off a truck. The stock Gen I and Gen II steel
> hoods are massive. A light weight hood will help. And perhaps an
> aftermarket bumper. The stock Gen I and II rear bumpers have edges that
> curl around the corners of the bed - seriously increasing aerodynamic
> tail drag. A roll pan is a light weight alternative. The Gen III trucks
> moved to bumpers that are the same width as the bed, eliminating the
> aerodynamic drag.

The hood should be worth way more than 10 lbs. By going to a fiberglass
front bumper, although it's illegal on the street (pray you don't hit
anything), it'll save you just under 30 pounds. (actually 28 pounds).
Also, FWIW the rear ends of the daks are the same width (or fairly
close) from generation to generation. Would swapping on a gen III
bumper be an alternative if he wants to still have an actual bumper?

> A bed cover will also help MPG. An open bed also increases drag. And on
> a more expensive level, I've always toyed with the idea of replacing my
> side mirrors with flush fitting cameras with video displays in the cab.
> But thats a mod that would not be as easy - or as cheap up front. Also
> the fuel economy savings would take a while to offset the cost of side
> cameras.

LOL @ camera idea, but it's actually a neat concept. It might be cool
to do on an older car that has side mirrors bolted to the body (like
Jon's Cuda) to give it that clean look.

Dropping the truck will also increase MPG. I got about 1.5mpg out of my
bedcover and another 1.7 out of it after I did the drop.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L