Re: Christine Still Won't Run!

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 22:54:44 EDT

TerribleTom wrote:

> Okaaaay - changed the O2 sensor today - and as I suspected... no change.
> Still bogs down - won't idle, dies out. My gut is telling me its fuel
> related again... I pulled the EGR valve off and put on a block off
> plate, I fixed the exhaust leaks, and now changed the O2 sensor
>
> I did a little test - and pulled the vacuum line off the fuel pressure
> regulator - and there was no vacuum or pressure at either the regulator
> nipple or the rubber hose... I don't know if that's normal or not?
>
> I'm going out to pull the ECM from the 2wd truck and try it on Christine
> to see if that does anything... just to rule it out... I'll post my
> results when done.
>
> I pulled the EGR valve off and put on a block off plate, I fixed the
> exhaust leaks, and now changed the O2 sensor... any other suggestions?
>
> I'm going to focus on the fuel system unless there are any other
> suggestions.

Its not the ECM, still does this with the 2wd Daks computer - lemme go
down the list here again - help sort this out in my head...

newer cap, rotor, plugs, wires... only a few months old - very few miles
on them - visual inspection of plugs and cap and rotor - they look just
fine.

brand new O2 sensor, removed the EGR valve, no trouble codes present in
the computer...

I'm thinking other possible suspects are:

fuel pressure regulator
fuel pressure (as in a bad fuel pump)
weak spark
somehow the timing was thrown off?
fouled injectors
head gaskets?

I don't suspect any problems with the MAP and TPS, they came off my
spare engine and were fine prior, with no change when I swapped them
over. I've plugged any vacuum lines I could find that I disconnected
when I ripped the smog pump crap off... also doubt that the coolant temp
sensor could be a problem, as I would see a trouble code of there were
voltage problems with it. I want to probe the O2 sensor with a
multimeter to see how its running - like I said - I suspect its running
rich, but have no proof. I also swapped over the pickup coil a few
months ago... back when I was trouble shooting a problem that turned out
to be a dead injector. I can visually see the injectors are both
spraying fuel.

I can only get it to idle when I have the power brake booster vacuum
hose removed.... why would that be? And its not a smoth idle either.

********** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *69* DAYS LEFT! **********
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/