Re: Christine Still Won't Run!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 10:22:21 EDT

TerribleTom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:

: I can only get it to idle when I have the power brake booster vacuum
: hose removed.... why would that be? And its not a smoth idle either.

    If you have it idling (sort of) :-) with the brake booster hose
removed, what happens if you put your thumb over the end of the hose
(or the barb if you are pulling the hose off at the intake manifold)?
Can you feel vacuum, and does the engine die? If so, that seems to
indicate to me that the engine isn't getting enough air to idle.
I don't know if that's incredibly useful though, sure you could probably
play with the idle air control circuit or adjust the throttle body
blades, but if the engine is running crappy all over and not just
at idle, this may just be a symptom of a larger problem, so increasing
the amount of air the engine sees at idle might be a temporary patch
for the idling problem, but it'd still run crappy and once you nail down
the true problem, you'd probably have to go back and un-do all of
your adjustments to drop the idle back down.

   I saw your reply to Bernd's post saying you're going to put a fuel
pressure gauge on it - that's a good idea. I don't remember if you
said wether or not you have you done a pressure test and/or a leakdown
test on it? That may help to give you some indication of the condition
of your head gaskets, valves and rings.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'