RE: Compression Fittings On Brake Lines

From: Marc W. Grobe (MGrobe@leghorncomputing.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 11:57:20 EDT

Over the last few years I have had the occasion to make my own hard
lines.

I started out with a cheap kit that I bought; which wasn't all that
great but got me through my first project. When I went to use the kit
again most recently I had a completely different result. For the life
of me I couldn't get a double-flare that was even straight across the
face. I tried and tried, but I noticed that the way the blocks had been
milled the two surfaces weren't perfectly flush. This did explain the
minor leaking issue I had with an earlier set that a lot of tightening
took care of.

This was a large project and the cheap kit wasn't making flares that I
was comfortable with anymore. So I ran to Autozone to see what their
loaner kit created, but it wasn't any better maybe made them a touch
worse.

Then I thought I would try a new cheap kit as this was the last time in
the foreseeable future that I would need the flaring kit. So I bought a
cheap Snap-On kit (around $45), which the Snap-On guy warned me against
and it wasn't any better. In fact the holes in the two halves were
off-center which made a new and completely worthless flare. So I
swapped kits with the guy and dropped some larger dollars for the full
price kit (around $110).

This kit made perfect flares every time (period). I killed 1.5 days and
a lot of gray hairs trying to not spend money. After I got the right
tool the whole project was done in a few hours. And there weren't any
nagging leaks to deal with.

Consider the tool below to be strongly recommended.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=16276&grou
p_ID=1338&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

-Marc-
Villa Park, IL
2000 Dak 4x4