Re: Compression Fittings On Brake Lines

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 12:53:58 EDT

"Pindell, Timothy" <TPindell@otterbein.edu> wrote:

:>
:> Who knows, we may have to agree to disagree, and maybe I'm being
:>a nervous ninny, but when lives are at stake, I'll gladly wear the
:>old lady hat and err on the side of caution.
:>
:>--
:> -Jon-

: Amen. When it comes to brakes or other safety equipment, I don't like
: to mess around. To me, it's just not worth it.

: Is there a good kit/tool for making nice double flares on steel tubing?
: I'll pay good money for one that produces repeatable, quality flares. I
: have a cheesy little parts-store kit that has a tendency to amplify user
: error and produce very inconsistent results.

  Let me know if you find one. I've had less than stellar results myself.
(Usually I am able to get by with pre-assembled generic lines from Autozone,
which just need to be bent to shape; breaking out the flaring tool is
something I try to avoid doing whenever possible.) :-) I do have a 37
degree "aviation style" flaring tool which works pretty nice; I used it
on all of the aluminum fuel lines in the Barracuda (the 37 degree flare
mates up with AN fittings), although I must admit I haven't tried it on
steel lines, and of course it does me no good for my brakes unless I were
to convert my brake fittings to 37 degree single flare. (Which won't
be happening.) :-)

: This thread is one of the reasons I continue to subscribe to the DML.
: Where else could one get into a serious, interesting discussion of
: compression fittings?

   Yep, and I like that we managed to do it without it reverting into
a flame war - religion, politics and compression fittings - can be
very touchy subjects. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'