Can someone help a dummy with wiring?

From: korey99@yahoo.com
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 21:45:35 EDT

Hey all-

  I wish there was a way I could keep this post from going into the archives
(and immortalizing my ignorance), but I need some help getting started with
something I've never worked on before. I need to add a circuit to my truck for
my electric brake controller, but I don't know the proper way to do that.

  I have a 2004 Dakota, and while a lot of things automotive I understand, and
house wiring is no problem for me, automotive wiring is Greek to me. I'll tell
you what I do know. I see the battery, the under-hood fuse panel (where the
starter relay, etc. are), the alternator, and the interior fuse panel. There's
a very short wire directly to a terminal in the under-hood fuse panel from the
positive side of the battery, both of which are located at the front driver
side of the engine compartment. I also see the short wire grounding the
negative side of the battery. What I wish I saw was a great big sign saying
"plug new wires here", like a terminal block or something. The instructions on
the controller say to hook straight to the battery, but it seems there must be
a neater way than to hook each new accessory straight to the terminals on the
battery. I haven't looked underneath that fuse panel, but is there a way to
add a new circuit using it? I see that there are "spare" fuse slots. Is there
some better place to do so that I haven't seen yet? The brake controller
requires a 20A auto-reset breaker. I don't have the trailer tow package, BTW.

  I could have the trailer place hook it up, but I'm afraid of them butchering
my electrical system (not that an idiot like me could do it any better, but
that's why I'm asking for help), and I'd like it done right. I called the
local dealerships about the factory harnesses, and they don't sound any better,
requiring splicing, etc.

  Can anyone point me to a web resource or something that could get me started?
 If I _am_ supposed to just hook straight to the battery, can I hook to the
positive terminal at the fuse panel? There's only 3 inches of wire between
them.

  I do have a 20A circuit breaker that I need to use - it goes on the positive
wire between the battery and the brake controller. It looks like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/7o5qq I presume I'm supposed to bolt it down somewhere.
Does it matter where I bolt it? I also presume there should be as little wire
between the battery and that breaker as possible.

  I'd gladly buy a beer for anyone who can help steer me in the right
direction. Is it legal to mail beer? I appreciate the help I've gotten so
far.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Korey