Re: RE: 3.9 Install

From: Gary Hedlin (superdak@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 03:46:03 EDT

Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:

> No need for step #1 or making it hard on yourself with trying to line up the
> mounts to the frame.
>
> Remove radiator/fan assembly, disconnect starter, remove bolts at the
> bellhousing, remove intake manifold (may want to do this first before
> removing bolts at bellhousing - easier), attach chain to heads (do NOT use
> the intake for lifting), disconnect the three bolts on each side of the
> motor attaching it to the mounts, jack up trans slightly with floor jack
> (may have to disconnect trans mount), lift engine up and out. Reverse the
> process on installation as it's easier to line up the engine to trans at a
> slight angle.
>
> - Bernd

Forgot to unbolt the tq converter bolts and the exhaust manifolds! :)

Swapped the 3.9 in the 98 last week, not an experience I want to have
agian. Had some help, still a PITA. But everything went good, and the
98 is running once agian! :) She runs good, except for the pesky fuel
injectors need cleaned with 200k on them!

Gary Hedlin
2005 SLT 4.7 5spd (fixed, good as new)
1998 Sport 3.9 (back from the dead)
www.garyhedlin.com