Rocker Panel

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 16:21:57 EDT

So I want to get rid of the pinch weld on my rocker panels.

a) it will allow me to tuck frame-mounted rock sliders further up
b) it would get rid of the only bad rust on my truck (I actually have a
rust through as of last week on the driver's side 1/2" off the pinch)

What I'm thinking is cut everything off even with the bottom of the doors
and replace it with a flat-bottomed inverted T (_|_) made of steel in the
1/8" to 10ga area. I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten into the
rockers on their Dakota doing body work or otherwise, and if you know if
this would be a feasable thing to do. Basically I want to take the ridgid
structure of that pinch weld and turn it upside down. I'm just worried
about the outside skin of the cab sagging while I work on this or peeling
off later.

Thanks for any insight!

--
Mike Maskalans   <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>