Re: Possible street racing accident!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 16:21:01 EDT

droo <03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net> wrote:
:> "Pindell, Timothy" <TPindell@otterbein.edu> wrote:
:> :>http://tinyurl.com/8ueqa
:> :>
:> :> I love how in the end of the article (actually referencing a
:> :>different incident) it said that a guy was found guilty of "drag
:> :>racing". I didn't know drag racing was illegal - should I hide
:> :>my trophies? ;-) Yeah, I know what they *meant*, it just annoys
:> :>me when journalists are either A - sloppy or B - adjenda driven; in
:> :>either case, the end result is for their words to foster an entire
:> :>culture of ignorance.
:>

: Well. It's illegal to drag race on the streets here in NJ. And it's called
: rdag racing. Not street racing. I think it's a 6 point ticket. And I
: believe they take your car.

   No doubt that is all true. That still doesn't make it right to use
the incorrect term for something though, even if it is the government
which is doing it. (Actually, I should probably say, *especially* if
it is the government which is doing it...) ;-) Anyhoo, I was just
trying to make the point that the term "drag racing" does NOT in any
way, shape or form imply racing on the street unless you qualify it
with those words - "on the street". I can buy a throw rug at Home Depot
and call it a ceiling fan until I am blue in the face, but that doesn't
make it so. Words mean things - it annoys me when people use them
incorrectly, but it infuriates me when they do so on purpose to push a
political agenda. As I mentioned in my earlier reply, I'm not sure if
it was done due to sloppiness/ignorance or to foster a political agenda,
but either way, I couldn't resist piping in with my $.02.

   I understand what you are saying, that the term "drag racing" is being
used to cover these sorts of incidents, but "drag racing" is not what
these are, and no matter who may be (ab)using the term, it is still
incorrect to use it in this fashion.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'