Re: Rocker Panel

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 16:25:03 EDT

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
: What I'm thinking is cut everything off even with the bottom of the doors
: and replace it with a flat-bottomed inverted T (_|_) made of steel in the
: 1/8" to 10ga area. I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten into the
: rockers on their Dakota doing body work or otherwise, and if you know if
: this would be a feasable thing to do. Basically I want to take the ridgid
: structure of that pinch weld and turn it upside down. I'm just worried
: about the outside skin of the cab sagging while I work on this or peeling
: off later.

: Thanks for any insight!

   This particular insight is worth what you paid for it ;-) considering
I have never done any bodywork in that area, but something that came to
mind was one option may be to replace the weld in pieces, say 6-12" at
a time. Rather than grinding the weld off, and putting one piece in,
just do a section, weld in the new piece, move on to the next section,
etc. That should prevent buckling of the panels without needing to worry
about some sort of complicated clamping system, but obviously its not
quite as easy as doing the whole thing all at once. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'