Stored Error Codes - How Long?

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 08:17:23 EDT

Does anyone know how long stored codes stay in the computer? I assume they
stay even after disconnecting the battery. Do they stay for 50 key cycles or
are they cleared only with a scan tool? I got a misfire-detected code last
fall with my 2000 Ram. Since then I’ve given the truck a tune up and
disconnected the battery to reset the check engine light. I have to take the
truck through CT’s new emissions and they now plug in and check for codes. I
want to make sure that is cleared before taking it down to get tested.

Thanks,

Walt