Re: I need bigger mirrors

From: korey99@yahoo.com
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 08:13:59 EDT

In article <42AD6BC9.1040501@bleazard.net>, dml@bleazard.net (Jason Bleazard)
writes:

> They're slightly cheaper from Camping World:
> http://tinyurl.com/cvger
>
> And the mirror face is larger to boot. These are what we bought from
> Ed. They work quite well. As for the paint, I've never noticed a
> single mark from them, but I'm not the kind of person who's out there
> waxing my truck with a diaper every weekend either. If you're OCD about
> your paint, it might be a concern. If you run it through the automatic
> car wash once a month or so like I do, then you'll be fine.

Thanks Jason - I'll look into those. I'm heading up to the Chicago area (where
there's a Camping World) in a couple of weeks and maybe I can see for myself
how they are constructed. I'm not too worried about my paint anymore, but
don't want to leave big gouges. I've discovered trips with family and friends
tend to be less stressful when you don't lose your cool if someone reaches over
the side of the truck for a piece of firewood.

> We upgraded the 5x7 mirrors on our truck to the 6x9s, but ours were the
> power 5x7 mirrors to start with. I can tell you that the 6x9 mirrors
> are pretty much useless for seeing any traffic around our trailer. I'm
> not sure exactly how wide ours is, the spec sheet just says 8 feet. I
> use the truck mirrors for looking at the trailer itself when parking, or
> point them at the blind spots on the highway, and use the add-on mirrors
> for watching traffic behind us.

Thanks. I wonder though, since my trailer is a full foot narrower, whether the
6x9's would be of any help. I'm guessing the basic principle is to get those
mirrors wider than the trailer. Today I'm going to make a stealthy run with a
tape measure to measure the 6x9's on a truck in the parking lot at work. Do
you have any ballpark idea how far your add-on mirrors extend from the truck.
I guess pretty far (certainly more than the stockers), if you can see around an
8 footer.

Thankfully, this isn't really ALL that big of a problem in most cases. With
the 4x4 I can see over the popup most of the time, but if I get a little car
right on my tail I can't see him at all. It'll still be nice to see better
though.

Thanks,
Korey