Re: Gas mileage [how to improve]

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 07:36:35 EDT

You guys do realize that if you go to a larger diameter tire than stock and do
not regear the speedo you automatically see a reduction in gas mileage just
because of the speedo error. With a larger diameter tire for the same distance
traveled the speedo will record less mileage because the wheel turns fewer
times for the distance.

In the case of the 95 4x4. Assuming the largest stock tire the factory provided
at 235/75-15 with a 29" diameter and going to 31/10.5-15 at 31" diameter that
equals a 7% difference in circumference or about 1mpg on a 12mpg base.

Just one more factor in the gas mileage equation.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4