Re: Too Hot in the Dak

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 20:27:09 EDT

Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
: David Henry wrote:
[...]
:> or know an easy way to get at the door without
:> draining the coolant and refrigerant out and pulling off the entire unit?

: I don't think it's all that bad. Mine doesn't have A/C, so there was no
: worry about that. But it was done all in the interior just by pulling
: the dash apart. *Way* apart, but no coolant draining was necessary.
: Lucky for me, most of the work was done by Jon and Mike (I told them it
: wasn't really necessary, but they took it as a challenge). They might
: remember more of the details.

   This might not apply since Jason's Dak is non-A/C, but the door
was located about a foot behind the heater controls, and just a
tad to the right (passenger side) - maybe 6 inches or so? I just
took a look under the dash of my '96 (which has A/C) and it looked
like there was more going on under there than what I remembered from
Jason's Dak. So it might not be so easy to get to it. I have a
fiber optic, flexible scope that you can insert into tight places to
look inside stuff, which is what I used to find it on Jason's Dak.
IIRC, we could just *barely* see it through the openings in the
dash by removing the radio and pulling the heat controls out a
little bit, and shining a flashlight through those openings. Again,
that was on a non-A/C truck though, so yours may be different. I'm
surprised more people don't have this problem actually, after seeing
how the cable actually attaches to the door, I seem to recall Mike
and myself thinking that it was kind've a dumb design. There isn't
much to stop the cable from slipping. We came up with the idea to
turn a couple of weld nuts into a clamp; Mike fabbed it up and I
installed it with plenty of loctite; probably overkill, but I don't
think Jason will be having *that* particular problem again. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'