Re: 2005 DML BBQ Roll Call

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 16:56:14 EDT

Michael Maskalans said:

> Sorry Josh, gotta call you out a little bit...

no problem.

> An aluminum frame would have to be from 3+ years ago. steel-only since
> then.

I joined last term, it was before then. i had been told it was 2 seasons old
at that time.

> The fastest cars do 40mph and take quite a while to get there

40, 60, they're close on the keyboard, and i bet you could get them to do 60
easily if you put a bigger motor in there. it seems like 60 though because
they're so small.

>> It flipped end over end like 8 times and wasn't
>> damaged nor was the occupant injured. I think they're looking for the
>> scrap
>> price out of it, somewhere about $500 - $700 IIRC. It only weighs about
>> 100
>> pounds.
>>
> a 100# car would be a miracle. 100# bare frame I'd believe from an
> aluminum car. Our car this year was a lightweight at 420# complete.
> Maybe I'll bring it down if Colin and I get a stronger chain in it. We
> haven't touched it since midwest competition though, and I'm out of town
> for 4 days this coming weekend. Hmm...

It was indeed an all aluminum car. I think it ended up being only about 300
- 350 with the driver. Don't quote me on that though, like I said, I only
joined SAE last semester and haven't been to a race yet. This car was built
and raced before my time. I only know a little because they're looking to
sell (or maybe even have sold) the frame.

> I might bring a friend with a Heep too. He's alright. We're starting a
> fab shop as soon as we get a bender and he's one of a half dozen Mud Nuts
> splitting off into our own club of non-politicing asses, too. Hmm, wonder
> if anybody from my club will stumble across this before the other members
> know. We'll see =)

Sounds like fun! I'd love to start a shop like that. Jealousy++

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com