Re: 2005 DML BBQ Roll Call

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 16:19:39 EDT

Sorry Josh, gotta call you out a little bit...

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Josh Battles wrote:

> We're selling the old SAE mini-baja car from last year at school... it's
> made out of aluminum tube and has one seat, brakes, and steering.

An aluminum frame would have to be from 3+ years ago. steel-only since
then.

> With a 5hp
> lawnmower engine and gearbox it could be made to do 60+ mph like it did in
> competition last year...

The fastest cars do 40mph and take quite a while to get there

> It flipped end over end like 8 times and wasn't
> damaged nor was the occupant injured. I think they're looking for the scrap
> price out of it, somewhere about $500 - $700 IIRC. It only weighs about 100
> pounds.

a 100# car would be a miracle. 100# bare frame I'd believe from an
aluminum car. Our car this year was a lightweight at 420# complete.
Maybe I'll bring it down if Colin and I get a stronger chain in it. We
haven't touched it since midwest competition though, and I'm out of town
for 4 days this coming weekend. Hmm...

I might bring a friend with a Heep too. He's alright. We're starting a
fab shop as soon as we get a bender and he's one of a half dozen Mud Nuts
splitting off into our own club of non-politicing asses, too. Hmm, wonder
if anybody from my club will stumble across this before the other members
know. We'll see =)

--
MikeM
SAS Dak