Re: which dual action (D/A) sander?

From: Orange383 (orange383@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 16:43:53 EDT

Do you plan on doing more than just the Dakota in the future? I'm asking
because if you plan on doing body work here and there instead of just a one
time deal I would suggest investing in a better d/a. Dynabrade and Hutchins
are usually considered the best. Which is better is arguable, but I prefer
the Hutchins.You can get them used on ebay in good condition for around
$100. It's definitely worth it as the cheaper d/a are not balanced well and
as a result create more heat and friction and cause irregular sanding
patterns as well as poor featheredges. Also, they cause increased fatique
quicker due to the vibration, vibration which also causes them to wear out
quicker. We have both Hutchins and Snap-on d/a as our shop (I personally do
not like the snap-on d/a) and the hutchins seem to last forever, even with
daily use, as long as they are oiled on a regular basis. Good luck.

David