Re: Continuing code/sensor saga-Ambient Temp Sensor

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 11:49:41 EDT

At 08:31 AM 7/26/05, you wrote:
>I replaced a sensor in that location, called the Air
>Charge Sensor.

The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is rarely but sometimes
referred to as the Air Charge Sensor. Since you've replaced
it with a new one and code 23 persists, carefully check the connector
and its wiring for faults.

>But am unable to locate the Ambient Temp Sensor.

With an overhead console, the temperature readout comes
a Ambient Temp. Sensor input. If you don't have this option,
the only thing close that I can think of might be the Battery
Temperature sensor because it does "test" the ambient temp.
around it. Check under your battery and see if there is
a sensor "embedded" in the battery tray. I have one in my 97
but I do not know when Dodge started using them in the Dakotas.

Regarding code 37, I don't know if this applies to the Dakota
but it does to the 95 Rams. The trailer towing package includes
a transmission coolant temperature sensor while the standard
package does not. The fault code detection system is probably
the same for both models and this could cause a low (no) voltage
indication. With no transmission coolant temp. sensor, the code
might be stored only because there is no sensor there to give
input and the code gets stored in the computer and will not go
away.

Also with the Ram but again not sure if applies to the Dak, code 37
could be an open or short in the crankcase position wiring or connector.
It's possible that wiring or connector is flaky enough due to a lot of heat
buildup or wear or dirt. I have read where someone did replace this sensor
and it corrected a rough idle. But I've also read where someone
replaced the O2 sensor and corrected his rough idle.

I would also suggest that you give your plug wires a good examination
to see that one of them hasn't had some burnt/melted insulation caused
by accidently touching the exhaust manifold.

Other than that, it's going to be a hit and miss to find the culprit(s).

Bob