WOW! What a difference! Kinda long, all DAK with a 'Q' at bottom.

From: Bill Day (billday@otecom.net)
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 15:43:29 EDT

        Since the DAK had been running a little rough and I was coming up on 90k on
plugs etc, since I had the heart changed in early 2k, and with the poor
starting and incident this past tuesday, I decided to give her a partial
tune-up. I only installed plugs at this time as the wires ohm'd out pretty
darn good compared to a brand new set. AnywayI have never changed the plugs
in her so I gave here a go.

        One at a time I began removing the wire, heat shield, broke the plug loose
and squirted some trusty PB Blaster at the base of plugs. Let them sit about
15 minutes and then started Drivers front(#1?). This was not a good
sign(however everything got better, for a while) when I was hard pressed to
get it out. Seems it was carbon caked or something and the plug was only in
a bout 1/2 way at most. Now the last person to remove plugs on this truck
was(in spring of 2k when the intake & heads were pulled to slap on a short
block) was my trusty Dodge mech in Marshall(he has long since retired). so I
grunt and moan get it out and check out the threads with my flashlight, lots
of carbon about halfway down. I attempted to return the plug using some
antiseaze(brown formula from napa), no go. Well out comes my little setup of
a shop vac and .22 bore brush and I begin cleaning the threads out with some
knife stone oil, slap some more antiseaze on it and it slides down in, all
the way...

Begin working my way back to the firewall and they get a little easier. Start
on passenger side front removing and they come out pretty darn easy until I
get to the last one... not a good sound in my past experience when I hear a
"crack"... Pulled the plug socket out and I can see the remains of the plug
in the head.. 8-( Bad memories of disabling a good car of my
wifes(lost the threads of a plug in her Quad4 GA, 1993) when it separated
from the socket of the plug... I began to worry.. grabbed the remainder of
the plug with some needle nose to se if it wobbled, seemed sturdy still so I
hit her with more PB and ran inside to drink a beer. Come out 3 beers later
and went back at it and out it came(beer was for preparation in case I got
mad to help keep me from setting a stick of T.N.T. under it). Well, it came
out just fine.

        So, with antiseaze, gapper and plugs(AP 3924s) in hand I began reinstalling
all the plugs, not a one needed forcing down in. everything went right to
the but and then added my 1/4 past tight for plugs as I have used for years
on numerous vehicles. Hooked the wires back up, moved my tools and dropped
the hood.

        A quick flip of the switch and the old girl roared to life like she hasn't
ran in years. Went right out to the roda and dropped a couple small black
strips until the nobbys caught some chip and seal country road and launched
me down the road.

        Here's the kicker. I gapped every plug to spec at .35" I checked all of
the plugs I pulled out(Champions, black ceramics, no idea of the number on
them) of it when I was done(they looked wide). Not one plug was under
0.55"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I ask you this, has anyone ever ran a set of plugs for 100k? Is the gap
that I found(upto 0.65" on one of them) a common wear amount? I am expecting
a large increase in gas mileage out of this minor amount of work. I just
can't believe they were that bad. I never, ever considered they would be
that bad as, she has almost faithfully started everyday for 3 1/2 years other
then when the timing gear sheared and went out this year. I guess now I
should considered new plug wires and a new rotor as well.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.. but please keep yuour flame bait
to yourself 8-)

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed the BBQ and I am still planning on making the DML
Nats in July '06!!

--

Bill Day

"A rich man isn't always wealthy, he just has all the love he can give and ever wanted.." http://counter.li.org #384146 284016