Re: BBQ - new guy chimes in

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 11:03:53 EDT

"Josh Battles" <josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:

:> I wonder how many single seat buggys will show up in the next year or two.

: I'm sure going to try and get one made. Sheena apparently is very excited
: about this idea and has told me about a few friends she's got who work in the
: motorsports industry, and a close friend of the family who owns a bike shop
: who might be able to get me some discounted parts and stuff. It's looking
: pretty hopeful. Once I get those CAD drawings from Colin I'll be able to get
: started modifying them to get something that I'll actually fit inside of. It
: should be fun, and I'll make the plans available for all the DML to view
: (once they're done) if there's interest.

    I must admit, I have been giving the idea some thought. Nothing
serious yet though since I can't decide what kind of vehicle I would
want to build. I'm not sure if I'd want it to be a crawler, or a fast
buggy. Building a crawler would probably be better for the waterfall
and stuff, but it'd be fun to be able to open it up every now and again.
It seems like we always have a need for empty seats to fill so I
thought a 2 seater would be nice so somebody else could go along
for the ride. (But then that brings up the question, side by side
or tandem seating?) Going further with that line of thinking,
four seats would allow 3 extra people, but then you're getting up
there in size, and that seems bigger than what I would want to build.

  Then there's the whole raw materials cost. Would be nice to be able
to scrounge some of it, but no matter what, there is going to be a
need to buy some new stuff. I think I heard that the UR buggy cost
$12,000 which is WAY more than I would want to spend on something
like this. (Like 4 times more.) ;-) So, I dunno - I guess I'll
keep thinking about it and maybe I will figure out what I want to do,
and somehow schedule it around all my other projects. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | '70 Barracuda, '90 Dakota Convertible, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota | | '96 Intruder, '96 Kolb FireFly, '99 Cherokee, '01 Ram 3500 | `----------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'