Re: Mileage, Fuel, and MPG Figured for 05 BBQ

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 13:50:54 EDT

On 8/2/05, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
> > Cost of tolls: $58.30
>
> Yikes! And here I thought I was getting gouged. The NY Thruway recently
> jacked up their tolls, and they charge extra for trailers. $1.90 each
> way. The one that really cheezed me was the I-190 going in to Buffalo. I
> think the regular price is $0.75, and when we pulled up he said it would
> be $1.25 because of the trailer. Fair enough, so I handed him the money.
> Then he looked at my money like it was made out of two-month-old mystery
> meat fridge leftovers (no, I didn't give him Canadian currency, I know
> better than that), and he announced that he had changed him mind and would
> now require $2.75 due to the *height* of the trailer. Being not in a mood
> to block traffic while arguing with this idiot, I just forked it over. He
> reminded me very much of the troll in that fairy tale who sits and guards
> the bridge.

There is no height regulation on trailers on the Thruway. For travel
trailers, at worst there's a per-axle fee.

The Thruway toll increase cheesed a LOT of people. Local trucking
companies were talking about it nailing them for over $2000 per year.
It now costs me nearly $2/day in tolls just to drive to/from work, and
I've got the EZ-Pass discount and commuter plan (10% discount on
normal rates, plus the first 30 miles is free).

Think that's bad? If I remember later I'll dig up my statement and
post what it cost me to drive the PA Turnpike from Scranton to Philly
a couple weeks ago.