Re: [now] Offroad buggies [was] new guy chimes in

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 22:56:28 EDT

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
: On Tue, August 2, 2005 11:03 am, jon@dakota-truck.net said:
:>
:> Then there's the whole raw materials cost. Would be nice to be able
:> to scrounge some of it, but no matter what, there is going to be a
:> need to buy some new stuff. I think I heard that the UR buggy cost
:> $12,000 which is WAY more than I would want to spend on something
:> like this. (Like 4 times more.) ;-) So, I dunno - I guess I'll
:> keep thinking about it and maybe I will figure out what I want to do,
:> and somehow schedule it around all my other projects. :-)

: For anyone following this thread who thinks they'd like a buggy but
: doesn't want to get in to the fabrication, it's worth mentioning that
: there are a grundle of them on eBay: http://tinyurl.com/bs9ms. Both
: completed cars as well as easy-to-assemble kits. Just watch the shipping
: charges on those kits, some of them want more to ship the kit than the
: auction price.

   Come to think of it, I have seen similar things at the local
tractor supply store.

: I didn't notice any that appear to have the same suspension capability of
: the UR buggy, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking.

   That's true. Most of the ones I have seen are a glorified go-kart.
If somebody were to get ahold of a used one though, it probably would
give them a nice head-start.

   Speaking of building buggies, why are tubing benders so blasted
expensive? Where are the cheap Chinese knockoffs when we need them?
;-) They don't seem terribly complicated except for the dies
themselves. Maybe they just figure that the people who need tubing
benders are commercial customers who are OK with paying through the
nose for them since they will be able to make the machine pay for
itself? Kinda leaves us hobbyists out in the cold though. :-(

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | '70 Barracuda, '90 Dakota Convertible, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota | | '96 Intruder, '96 Kolb FireFly, '99 Cherokee, '01 Ram 3500 | `----------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'