Re: [now] Offroad buggies [was] new guy chimes in

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 23:54:19 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
>

> : the only bent members on our car are the rear lower a-arms. everything
> : else is cut, notched and welded. we couldn't get our bender to not kink
> : the .035 wall. minimum spec for our die is .049 wall so that's not
> : surprising.
>

> I suppose that would be a way to go. Would look more angular
> and involve more welding, but as long as it works... :-) (Well,
> I suppose you could pie the inside radius to make a bend, but that
> sounds too much like work.) ;-)

we tried that, it doesn't work too well and requires too much patience.

new frame specs are out - .065 min wall thickness, so bend away! (and
new frame building too. I don't think I'll be able to get this car
without replacing all the usable parts on it though which would be VERY
significant, so I don't think I'll try)

> I saw a book once that showed how to make a casting furnace out of
> a 5 gallon pail, and you can scale it up or down to whatever size
> parts you need it for. Seems like the easiest way to make the
> dies might be to build a mold and cast 'em, then polish the contact
> surfaces smooth?

that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Don't know how much I'd trust cast
dies though - I think stockers are forged and I've heard of them
breaking....