Re: RV towing with your Dak?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 16:58:46 EDT

On Wed, August 10, 2005 9:58 am, Don said:

> I'm looking for a TT for my Dak, What is every one else towing? and
> what about the weight?

We've got a 24 foot Pioneer (made by Fleetwood). If memory serves, I
think the dry weight is rated at 3600 lbs, although I'd have to check that
to be sure. The dealer said they usually figure an extra 1000 lbs for
options, equipment, supplies, water in the tanks, etc. I haven't bothered
to weigh it.

What final axle ratio are you running? That'll make a pretty big
difference on how much you'll enjoy pulling a trailer, especially with the
4.7.

As far as the weight, I'm sure you've figured out the max ratings listed
in the owner's manual for both total weight as well as tongue weight.
Also be sure to check your hitch, that should have its own ratings printed
on it. Don't exceed the weakest part.

Another thing to consider in addition to weight is the aerodynamic drag.
Ours seems to act like a big parachute behind us. I've noticed even when
going downhill that we'll lose speed pretty quickly if I take my foot off
the throttle. If it was just the weight, you'd think it would push us
down the hill. I think next time I'll consider something a bit lower
profile (ours sits pretty high).

Have you figured out what you're looking for yet? Approximate size?
Ultra-light or regular? (I've been told the ultra-light models are also
ultra-flimsy, but I have no first-hand experience with them.) Pop-up,
fold-out beds, or full hard side? Slide outs?