Re: RV towing with your Dak?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 22:28:05 EDT

Don wrote:

> Looking at the "260 RBS" made by Coachmen, Its what I call a "Empty
> Nest" style. Queen size bed and no other full time time beds. The sofa
> and dinette turn into beds. Just right for a grandchild or two someday :-)
>
> http://www.coachmenrv.com/tow/captiva/old_floorplans.htm

Nice! From the specs I can see:
http://www.coachmenrv.com/tow/captiva/old_specs.htm

It looks like you'll have an extra six and a half feet and about another
900 pounds compared to our trailer. I looked up the spec on ours, its
base weight is 3800.

Have you checked the total weight ratings for your truck and hitch yet?

> Now I have 3.55, hoping to get 3.92 or 4.10s. not sure, any thoughts
> if the 4.10 would be to much?

You know what they say... "too much is never enough." :-)

Seriously, if you're going to go to the effort and expense of getting
the gear swap done in the first place, I'd suggest to go right for the
4.10s. We went from 3.55 to 3.92 for two reasons:

1. Ours is a 4x4 and we couldn't find 4.10s for the front axle
2. We got a deal on Bob Tom's used gear set for the rear

The change made a huge difference. The truck feels much more confident
now pulling the weight, especially if there's any water in the tanks.
Unfortunately, the cost of having the gears changed was only slightly
less than buying a new truck, be sure to check in to that before having
it done. If I were going to do it again, I'd seriously compare it
against trading in on a Ram.

Of course, it also depends on how often you're going to be towing the
trailer. If it's only going to see 100 miles per year, it's a different
story than if you're planning on towing it around the world or something.