Re: Rear Shock Bolt removal

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 08:30:39 EDT

On 8/11/05, Brian T Lees <twinsprt@island.net> wrote:

> Im trying to replace my rear shocks in my 93 4x4. Does anyone have a trick,
> or the name of a special tool to hold the bolts on the top shock mount
> between the frame and the box? My other only option I can see is removing
> the whole box, obviously I dont think like a Chrysler engineer or I would
> have figured this out allready.

On both my '99 and '03, there's no tool required at all (special or
otherwise). The nut has a tab welded to it that is designed to catch
on the frame. Start turning the bolt head and the nut will go with it
- when that tab hits the frame, it'll hold the nut in place and the
bolt will back right out of it. Installation is the reverse of
removal.

It took me about 2 hours under my '99 to figure this out.