Re: Upper control arm bushings

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 08:55:56 EDT

The Energy Suspension bushing are poly or polygraphite. They are much stiffer
than the rubber so they will give you more precise suspension control. The down
side is they will also transmit more shock and road noise into the chassis, the
will not last as long and tend to creak and make noise. The reason for the
shorter life is with a stock bushing there is an outer and inner sheel that the
rubber is bonded to, motion in the suspension is via a twisting action between
the two shells there is no sliding of surfaces. The poly bushing on the other
hand slide on the shells. When you install them they are greased but there are
no provisions to keep them greased and they are not sealed so once the lube is
gone they grind away pretty quickly and will make noise.

Unless you are interested in improving the handling that last little bit I
would stick with stock bushings. I gave them a try in my 68 Barracuda and
replaced them the following year with stock bushings. I didn't notice and
appreciabel difference in the handling but the car sounded like and old clunker
and was embrassing at the local cruise night.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4