Re: Alternator help

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 10:39:59 EDT

Francis Fastje said:

> Well I had a bad afternoon went to start the truck no go. I had a buddy
> jump me it would start but as soon as i let off the gas it would
> die.Went and bought a new battery and it fired right up and drove
> home.What i am wondering now is how do i test the alternator? I have
> read the haynes manual and it says to use a volt meter with truck off
> and then running and compare the two. Is this a ok test to determine a
> bad alternator? Also what alternator is best for my truck
> They have 117A and a 136A?

I've got the 136A in my 2k and it's been *almost* enough to power all of my
stereo without dimming the headlights at night with the A/C on. More isn't
always better, but you've got to make sure it'll do the job you need it to
do. If you've got the 117A one and it suits your needs just fine, I'd stick
with that, otherwise upgrade.

Here's a pretty decent looking link on how to test your alternator with a DMM.
http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/altertip.htm

Good luck!

--
- Josh