Re: RE: SuperChargers, Turbos and fuel consumption

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 11:04:56 EDT

When you are operating under zero boost conditions the turbo is not a
significant restriction.

The slight reduction in mpg under these conditions is more from the fact that
the engine has less static compression than the NA version of the engine than
any restriction the turbine housing imparts.

That being said I have had 4cyl turbo mopars continously since May 85 when I
took delivery of my first turbo Daytona. This car with a 5spd got 26-27 mpg
around town (suburban setting) and 32-33mpg on the hiway at 65-70mph. My next
one was a turbo 2 (an extra 25HP and 50ft-lbs) Shelby Daytona it too got
26-27mpg around town and 31-32mpg on the hiway. I added a MP computer to this
car along with a less restrictive exhaust. The more aggressive timing and
richer mixture cost me about 1 mpg on both ends.

My current turbo car is an 03 PT Cruiser, this is a much more powerful engine
than either of my Daytonas and I have an automatic too. It gets 22-23mpg around
town and about 25-26 on the hiway. Also, agressive driving with this car will
quickly drop the mpg down into the teens. Talking with folks that have NA
automatic PT's the turbo gets the same mileage.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4