RE: OT: Neons?

From: Uncle Duke (tmfu@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 07:36:51 EDT

> Hey guys,
>
> Am thinking about getting a pair of gas sippers for the
> wife and myself. Have been considering Neons. Anyone have
> thoughts or comments on these? They seem like decent cars for
> the price (looking used 2000 or older) and from what I have
> read they are undervalued for perceived defects are aren't
> really as big a problem as they are made out to be. I have
> found a couple 2000's for under $1500 What do I need to check
> on these? What years had the head gasket problems? What
> kind of mileage do they get with the 5spd? Any other
> suggestions for a gas sipper? We had a Jetta for about three
> years and it got good mileage but I hated the shift pattern
> on their 5 spd. I was thinking a VW TDI but those are a tad
> pricey. I would prefer to buy American so are there any
> better choices than the Neon? Any good web sites for Neon info?
>
> Thank guys and gals,
>
> -Joe

They are great little cars. Best year for NA Neons are the 2001's, and
any year SRT-4(if you want to go that route). Gas mileage all depends on
how heavy your foot is(and mods of course). Mine has a transplanted
Magnum engine from a wrecked donor ACR. Just did a road trip from North
Jersey to Vienna, Va. Got close to 40mpg on the way down, got less than
that coming back(but I made the trip back in 3 hours, and probably still
have a pissed off MD trooper looking for me).

Greg
2001 Dodge Neon ES
Rahway, NJ
http://kernelpanic.dyn.dhs.org/~tmfu/Neon